West Virginia Auto Insurance Quotes
Since West Virginia has some of the highest insurance costs in the country, you may want to learn some ways to get the best possible rates. Like most states, West Virginia requires some types of insurance with others being optional. The state has set the following minimum liability limits:
- $10,000 for property damage
- $25,000 for the injury or death of one person, per accident
- $40,000 for the injury of death or two or more people per accident
Two other types of auto insurance you should consider purchasing are collision and comprehensive insurance. Collision covers damage to your car and to the other vehicle(s) damaged in the crash. Comprehensive coverage will pay out if your car is damagd by wind, hail storms, floods, vandalism, theft and if you hit an animal such as a deer.
Finding Auto Insurance Resources in West Virginia
There is no shortage of insurance companies stretching from Wheeling to Princeton. Each of them claims to have great rates and fabulous service. Smart West Virginians take the time to compare quotes and read online reviews before buying any insurance.
The best place to begin looking is the West Virginia Department of Transportation. There, you’ll find information on driver’s licenses, insurance and car registration. Also check out the West Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner’s consumer services pages.
Moving to West Virginia: Important Information
As soon as you arrive in The Mountain State, one of the first things you need to do is get everything set up with your driver’s license, title, registration and insurance. For the driver’s license, you need:
- Proof of identification such as a certified birth certificate or valid passport.
- Proof of Social Security registration (if you do not have your Social Security card, a tax statement such as a Form 1099 or W-2 is fine if they are originals).
- Proof of legal name change if your name has ever changed (usually a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order is sufficient).
- Two proofs of residency. (See this list of possible sources)
Take all of the above along with your current vehicle title, registration and proof of insurance to any regional office to complete the process.
Understanding Driving Laws in West Virginia
West Virginia has a driver violation point system similar to many other states. However, each state assigns a different number of points to each incident and the expiration of the points differs. The state can suspend your driver’s license if you accumulate 12 or more points at the same time.
Regarding alcohol consumption, West Virginia uses the 0.08 percent benchmark for those who are 21 or older like most other states. It is important to note the limit drops to 0.02 percent for those younger than 21 and 0.04 percent for commercial drivers.
Money-Saving Tips for West Virginia Auto Insurance
Even though West Virginia car insurance is more expensive than most other states, there are ways to make sure you get the coverage you need without breaking the bank.
- Only buy what you need: Avoid buying into agent sales tactics. Keep in mind that insurance agents work on commission and are paid based on the size of the sale. This guide from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners can help you determine how much is right.
- Know your driving record: The No. 1 factor insurance companies base their rates on is how many points are on your record. If you have points that will be added to your license, wait until the points have expired to get new rate quotes.
- Get competitive quotes: Plan to spend a couple of hours gathering about six quotes from different companies. Some companies provide online rate quotes without having to speak with an agent. You need to have your vehicle ID number, driver’s license and current insurance policy. Also, you can get free insurance quotes without even leaving your house by going to insuranceQuotes.com.
Frequently Asked Questions About West Virginia Auto Insurance
Here are some of the questions that often come up in any discussion of West Virginia car insurance:
Can an insurance company cancel a policy if payment is late?
Yes, even if the payment is only one day late. Most companies put your policy back into force once you have made payment.
Do you need to have insurance coverage for damage to your car in an accident?
The state does not require collision or comprehensive insurance. However, if you have financed your car with a commercial lender or a bank, the lender generally does require both. If you have paid off your car, you can choose not to cover physical damage.
Can the insurance company determine where to repair your damaged vehicle?
No, but it is in your best interest to shop around for the best pricing since the insurer sets a limit on how much it pays for parts and labor for most accidents.
How to Get Great Rates on West Virginia Auto Insurance
Finding an auto insurance quote can seem overwhelming – but insuranceQuotes.com helps you find the best car insurance policy at the best price. Every year, we match 15 million consumers to the nation’s biggest auto insurance companies, including State Farm, Allstate and Liberty Mutual.
insuranceQuotes.com connects you with local and national insurance companies that give you free car insurance estimates by phone or email within minutes. By comparing multiple quotes, you can be sure that you’re getting the best price for car insurance.
West Virginia Auto Insurance Resources
Need more than just West Virginia car insurance quotes? Find out more about driving in West Virginia at the West Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner.
insuranceQuotes.com Auto Rate Methodology
Rates are based on one vehicle and one driver who has state minimum coverage with $500 deductibles. The hypothetical driver is 35 years old, female or male, employed, a college graduate, and has good credit. She has no traffic violations, claims, or lapse in coverage. The vehicle is assumed to be a sedan that is garaged on premises, used primarily for commuting, and driven 16,000 miles per year. Rates include commonly available carrier discounts and are estimates and not guaranteed.