What is Life Insurance?
Life insurance is a paid contract between an individual and their insurance company that will ultimately lift the financial burden of death from your loved ones who might otherwise be burdened by the event. Life insurance can be an important safety net for anyone who may depend on you financially. In the event of a death, a lump sum is paid to a chosen beneficiary - usually a spouse or child - to clear debts or provide money to comfortably live off. This paid out sum from your life insurance policy is called a death benefit, and the amount your dependents will get will be outlined in the particular life insurance policy you choose. There are many different affordable life insurance policy options. We can help you compare multiple policies to help save you time and money and ultimately give you and your loved ones peace of mind.
Do I Really Need a Life Insurance Policy?
A life insurance policy can be considered needed for any individual with family members or dependents who would be put at financial risk due to their death. Here a few key factors to consider whether a person needs a life insurance policy or not.
A life insurance policy may be needed if:
- A spouse or child (dependents) rely on your income to survive. If anyone of your beneficiaries would be unable to live comfortably without the income you currently provide, life insurance can help cover this.
- A final funeral expenses would financially hurt your family significantly.
- An individual's death would ruin their business and financially destroy their family and or employees that otherwise depend on it to survive.
- An individual has significant debts that loved ones may inherit and be unable to pay off.
Overall, life insurance can be a great investment for those that it fits their particular situation. However, If you are sure there would be no financial burden left behind to any of your loved ones - then it may not be necessarry for you to get a life insurance policy at this time. However, it is good to keep in mind that prices and premiums on life insurance will always be lower for younger aged individual who are currently in good health. If you would like to potentially lock in an affordable price premium on life insurance, it's often considered best to shop around sooner rather than later.
What are the 3 Types of Life Insurance?
The three major types of life insurance to compare includ permanent life, universal life, and term life insurance. Each life insurance type is different and one may be better for you and your family when compared to others. There are many different variants to the life insurance types listed above which we will review below in finer detail to help you better understand the benefits of each.
Permanent Life Insurance
Permanent life insurance, which is sometimes referred to as whole life or straight life insurance, is one of the most promising life insurance types that will always pay a death benefit should your insurance premium be paid and gives lifelong protection. Permanent life insurance is often used as an umbrella term for any life insurance policy that does not expire. One of the great benefits of permanent life insurance is that it offers a cash value that be withdrawn while you're still living. It usually combines a financial death benefit with a financial savings portion that can be borrowed. This life insurance policy will last from the time it is purchased until you pass away - which then can be distributed to your beneificiaries.
Pros of Permanent Life Insurance:
- Gives lifelong protection
- Can replace income
- Can be borrowed against to pay for big life expenses like college
- Accrues value over time
Cons of Permanent Life Insurance:
- Higher costs on premiums
- Policy can lapse from lack of payment
- A permanent life insurance policy can not be converted if you change your mind
Universal Life Insurance
A universal life insurance policy is considered a guaranteed life insurance type. Payments must be made on time everytime, but the death benefit is always guaranteed. Insurance premiums do not change with a universal life insurance policy and there is usually no cash value associated with this type of policy. Universal life insurance is much cheaper thatn
Pros of Universal Life Insurance:
- Universal gives lifelong protection
- It can allow for flexible premiums in the case of financial difficulties
- It accrues value over time
- Flexibility varies based on your policy
Cons of Universal Life Insurance:
- Your variable rates could mean low interest rates on overall cash value
- The only payment received by beneificiaries will be the death benefit amount
Term Life Insurance
A term life insurance policy, also known as a pure life policy, only provides coverage for a determined period of time which you choose. The main point of a term life insurance policy is to help your dependents in the case of a premature death. Your chosen beneficiaries only receive the death benefit payout if you die within the determined "term" you've chosen. If your policy expires, there is no benefits received by your family.
Pros of Term Life Insurance:
- Lasts for a specific period of time that you choose
- Beneficiaries are paid out if you die during the specified time period - great for dependents who would be hit by bills and costs
- Term life has lower premiums for overall costs compared to other life insurance types
- Term life can cover income and other expenses for your beneficiaries
- Term life is a great choice for young and healthy adults
- May eligible for No-Med Exam policy
- Answer a number of health, financial, and hobby questions instead of a medial exam
Cons of Term Life Insurance:
- It is only meant to be a temporary life insurance coverage policy
- Pre-existing medical conditions may make it harder for individuals to qualify
- Requalification is required each time the term of your life policy ends
Final Expense Funeral Insurance:
Another type of life insurance you may consider is what is called a final expense insurance, or burial insurance, which covers the cost of any end of life expenses. A final expense policy can cover the costs of funeral, burial, cremation, or end of life medical care. Though this type of insurance may be good for some, it comes at a much higher price point than other types of life insurance.
Pros of Final Expense Insurance:
- Pays the costs of burial or cremation
- Lifts the burden of funeral expenses on family members
- Pays for other funeral related expenses such as headstone installation
- Can be good for those who would be disqualified from other life insurance policies due to age or health issues
Cons of Final Expense Insurance:
- Does not cover large final expenses like large unpaid debts (mortgage, estate taxes, etc.)
How Do I Find the Best Life Insurance Policy?
Comparing multiple life insurance quotes is the best way to find the best policy that fits your needs at an affordable price. We can help you compare multiple life insurance coverage types and find the best insurance company for your particular wants and needs when it comes to the costs and benefits of life insurance.
Our life insurance policy experts have helped millions of individuals find the best life insurance policy for them and their families. We offer personalized insurance policies and services and will help you find a policy that works best for your financial and personal situation. Life insurance is regulated by state, but our experts will help you find the best fit for a life insurance policy in your state based on a few simple questions.
Let our life coverage experts help you find the best life insurance policy. Here's what to expect when trying to find the best life insurance policy:
You will starty by answering simple questions about your general health. Some life insurance questions may include inquiries about your height, weight, blood pressure, and current cholesterol readings. Other information you will want to have handy to complete your form include any outstanding financial debt or claims you currently have (such as mortgages or other other large financial loans).
You will also be asked about your current annual income, type of work you do, and any risky hobbies you may partake in. Once all of the questions are completed in your form, you will be contacted shortly after from one of experts with your new life insurance policy options.
InsuranceQuotes is one of the leaders in the world of online life insurance quote comparison. Our easy to follow, online questionnaire is simple and fast – we can help you compare multiple life insurance policy quotes from top providers in minutes. Get your online life insurance quotes today from multiple insurance agencies and gain the financial protection you and your family deserve for the future.
Our expert content helps you find the right life insurance for your unique situation. Learn the difference between term and permanent life insurance, and how to apply for a life insurance policy.
Types of Life Insurance
- What is term life insurance?
- What is permanent life insurance?
- What is funeral insurance?
- Can I get life insurance without a health exam?
- What is the difference between term and whole life insurance?
- Can I get life insurance if I'm a smoker?
- Can I get life insurance if I have a serious or terminal disease?