How to Compare Auto Insurance Quotes
Online auto insurance quotes you receive and the overall rates you pay are going to depend on a few personal factors as well as the amount of car insurance coverage and type you are seeking. The main factors that will go into determining the different price quotes on your auto rates include your age, driving records and history, vehicle's make and model, overall credit history, and the accident risks associated with the city you live in or areas you will frequently be driving through. Comparing multiple auto insurance companies and quotes allows you to find the best price and amount of coverage. Auto insurance companies know that they can build a lifetime customer with competitive auto rates that offer comprehensive coverage. The more insurance quotes you compare, the more likely it is you will get the best auto insurance rates for your particular policy needs.
If you want to compare auto insurance quotes, we provide an easy to use online tool that can compare multiple local and national car insurance companies in a one stop shop. We can help save you time and money on auto insurance by making sure you have the right coverage to fit your needs – no matter the type of driver you are. InsuranceQuotes make the process of comparing auto insurance quotes online simple, fast and secure, so you get the best possible deal. You can get started by simply entering your zip code into the form above and answering a few easy questions. Your new auto insurance quotes can be delivered to your email or you can speak directly to one of our expert auto insurance live advisors on a phone call depending on your preference.
Here is a quick breakdown of the information you'll want to have handy in order to start comparing your personalized auto insurance quotes online from a large list of insurance providers:
- A valid driver’s license number
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Make, model, and year of your vehicle
- Name and date of birth
- Zip Code
Comparing Auto Insurance Price Rates You Receive
If you're currently insured and comparing auto insurance policies, you'll want to make certain that you're looking at the same, or similar auto coverage limits and deductibles for each price quote. Make sure to get multiple car insurance quotes so you know you have the best protection for your individual needs.
You'll want to make sure you are comparing these particular individual characteristics of your received auto policy quote in order to make sure you're making the best choice when getting a new auto policy. Make sure all of these factors are the same when comparing different auto insurance price rates:
1. Comparing the same auto policy type:
- Make sure you consider the legal requirements for auto insurance from your state regarding policies. You'll want to make sure you are choosing a policy that fits all your needs such as if the vehicle's primary use will be rideshare or commercial use which will result in a different auto quote rate.
2. Determine the correct policy limit needed:
- Your state will have requirements for auto insurance limit minimums that need to be met when determining the correct prices offered on your policy.
3. Choosing a similar insurance deductible:
- An auto insurance deductible is the amount you will pay towards your car's repairs before your auto insurance kicks in to pay off the remaining amounts owed to fix your vehicle after an accident. Make sure to select an auto deductible amount that will work for you and your budget in case of an accident.
4. Inquire about potential auto insurance discounts:
- Do not forget to always ask the insurance company you are working with about any potential auto insurance discounts that may apply to you when shopping for and comparing different car insurance rates. Depending on your personal history and a few other factors there may be auto discounts that could be applied to your insurance policy quote that could significantly decrease your total cost for car insurance.
What are the Different Types of Auto Insurance Coverage?
There are 3 main different types of auto insurance coverage that all major car insurance providers will offer including collision, comprehensive, and liability auto insurance. See below for information on each of these as well as a few other types of auto insurance coverages you may be interested in.
1. Collision Auto Insurance Coverage:
Collision auto insurance is an auto policy coverage type that will help pay for the repairs or replacement of your vehicle should it become damaged due to an accident involving another vehicle or object. It also can cover instances of damage from a single car accident such as a rollover. If you are paying for your vehicle through a loan or lender this type of auto coverage is usually always required. If you own your vehicle outright, this can be added to your current policy but isn't always needed. For example if your vehicle was damaged, but it's current value to replace or repair would not be a financial burden - you may opt out of this particular coverage type. However, most drivers prefer the peace of mind that collision auto insurance provides.
2. Comprehensive Auto Insurance Coverage:
Comprehensive auto insurance will cover any damage to your vehicle caused by something other than an accident. Some examples of instances covered by a comprehensive auto insurance type could be payment for the damages caused by weather (wind, hail, floods), fire damage, theft of your vehicle, vandalism, falling object damage, and things like hitting an animal while driving.
3. Liability Auto Insurance Coverage
Liability auto insurance will cover the expenses of injury, death, or property damage to other drivers when you are in a collision that you are the main party at fault. The two sub-categories of a liability only auto policy are bodily injury liability and property damage liability payment.
4. Medical Payments Coverage:
While medical payment coverage is required in some states, it is an optional auto policy option in others. Medical payments auto coverage is useful for when you, passengers, and or family members who were driving the vehicle were injured in an accident that resulted in medical bill costs such as surgery, x-rays, and the hospital visits involved.
5. Personal Injury Protection Coverage:
PIP or personal injury protection coverage is available to drivers in certain states. PIP auto coverage is much like the medical payments coverage mentioned above. However, this type of auto coverage can go a step further in helping you pay for additional costs that were directly associated to your accident such as lost job income or resulting child care expenses.
6. Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage:
Uninsured & underinsured motorist auto insurance will help cover your medical expenses if you are involved in an accident with a driver who does not have insurance on their vehicle or may leave the scene of the accident. You may also be covered to help pay for some of the costs of repairs on your vehicle in this situation. Another example where this policy type could be useful is if the driver is underinsured and it won't cover any medical bills you may receive due to the accident.
Is Car Insurance Required?
Having car insurance is required by law in most of the 50 states. How much auto insurance coverage you will need will depend on what is legally required by your state. Technically, you could purchase a new or used vehicle without auto insurance. However, to legally drive it home you will need some sort of insurance coverage - for the most part any quality car dealership will require you to have proof of car insurance on the vehicle before allowing you to leave their lot. If you are getting a loan through a financial institution, they will also have particular auto insurance requirements in order to help you purchase your new or used vehicle. Once you know the make and model of your vehicle - you should start shopping around for auto insurance so that you are covered once a vehicle purchase decision has been made. Auto insurance rates by state can vary based on quite a few factors, so the sooner you can do your research on car insurance costs the more prepared you will be.
Top 3 Factors that Affect Your Insurance Rates
Insurance rates will vary by company, but three main factors generally determine how much you will pay for your auto insurance including your car's make and model, where you currently live, and your past driving record.
- Your car - Does your particular car make and model have safety features? How often do you drive? How much does it cost to repair your vehicle?
- Where you live - How safe is your neighborhood? What type of auto insurance is required where you live by state law?
- Your driving record - Have you been involved in any car accidents recently? How many moving violations, or previous insurance claims do you have? All of these factors can affect your auto insurance rates.
What Car Insurance Discounts are Available?
How long has it been since you last shopped for car insurance protection? If it’s been over a year, you could be saving more money on car insurance than you realize. Here are a few of the most common car insurance discounts that may be available to you as you compare new auto insurance policies:
- Bundling Auto and Home or Renters – Combining multiple insurance policies for extra savings
- Multi-Car Insurance Quote – Compare offers that insure more than one vehicle while on the road to financial savings
- Safety Features Discount – Technology can save you money on your insurance
- Safe Driver Discount - If you're ticket and accident-free you could save big
- Good Student Discounts – Full-time students can find savings in a variety of ways to lower their payment
- Military Discounts – Active military and people in other public service careers can save by letting their agents know of their service
- Retired Discounts – Some policies offer discounts for those 65 and older
- Consistent Coverage Discount - Discount based on how long you've been insured and maintained insurance without any lapses in coverage
We can also show you other ways to save on your car insurance.
While searching for auto insurance quote comparisons, we will provide you with great tips to get lower rates or better coverage. And who doesn't like to save money without being subject to endless hassles? Our fast, free car insurance quotes make it simple to find the best deals.
Get a quick, personalized auto insurance quote today, and compare insurance rates from some of the leading national and local insurance providers such as Progressive, Farmers, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, and other top insurance companies across the country.
So, you've moved to a new city, have a shorter commute, or sold your old car. Life is full of ch...
Learn the nuts and bolts of your insurance policy, including the different types of coverage, how to save money and how to file a claim.
- What is car insurance?
- What is a premium?
- What is a deductible?
- What is comprehensive coverage?
- What is bundling?
- What is GAP insurance?
Whether you love driving your car or just need wheels to get from A to B, you don't want to pay more than you have to for auto insurance. With insuranceQuotes, the top online resource for free auto insurance quotes, tools, expert tips and advice, you'll find the right car insurance at the best price.
Insurance rates are always changing. That's why it's important to shop and compare rates, otherwise, you might be paying too much.
It's easy to request free quotes and compare car insurance policies from different companies. We find the best quotes for you, so you don't have the hassle of calling multiple insurance companies.
- Brand loyalty can help or hurt.
It might be easier to just stick with what you know, but it pays to look at the competition and compare quotes from multiple insurance companies. . While some auto insurers offer loyalty discounts, in some cases, you can pay less by switching providers. We'll help you figure out which option gives you the right coverage at the best price.
- Location, location, location–even in insurance.
The state where you live, and even your neighborhood, influences how much you pay for auto insurance! Moving into a safe neighborhood could save you money on car insurance, likewise, relocating to a big city could cause your rate to go up. Your ZIP code tells us how to begin matching you with the best insurance company for your situation.
- Other factors that affect rates: age, gender, marital status, type of vehicle.
The list goes on and on! We know the ins and outs of car insurance rates, so we use our expert knowledge to compile the most pertinent information about you in order to deliver quality auto insurance quotes at the best price.
How we get the best auto insurance rates
We use our partnerships with local insurance agents and national providers to bring you the most detailed and accurate quotes. All we need is some basic information and you'll have your quotes in minutes. insuranceQuotes is the best way to shop smarter and find the best value!
Money Saving Tips
- Should I drop collision and comprehensive insurance?
- Top car insurance discounts
- How often should I shop for insurance?
- How To Properly Insure a Teen Driver
- Should I bundle my home and auto insurance?
- Top 5 Best and Worst Car Insurance Deals