Who Has the Cheapest Full Coverage Auto Insurance?
When it comes to auto insurance, we all want to pay the lowest rates—but we also want as much protection as possible. But not all policies or providers carry the same rates, and the amount you’ll pay is also determined by where you live. The good news is that researching which insurance companies provide the lowest full coverage rates can really pay off—and we’ve done all the work for you.
Ready to find affordable car insurance that you can rely on? Sit back and relax while we cover the most comprehensive auto insurance policies that will also help you reduce your monthly premium.
What is Full Coverage Auto Insurance?
Full coverage auto insurance isn’t a specific type of policy, but rather a combination of coverage types .A full coverage auto policy includes comprehensive and collision insurance, in addition to liability insurance. In most states, liability coverage is the minimum amount of coverage required by your state. However, most state laws do not require comprehensive and collision insurance as part of an auto insurance policy.
Here’s a quick rundown of what each of these coverage types help pay for:
- Comprehensive Insurance: This protection covers your vehicle against physical damage, which can include storm damage, or damage that’s not strictly related to driving. This includes but is not limited to:
- Damage caused by weather, including hail or falling trees
- Vandalism or theft
- Impact with animals on the road
- Collision Insurance: This type of coverage helps pay to repair or replace your car if it’s damaged in an accident with another vehicle or stationary object like a tree, guardrail, or fence. It can also cover damage resulting from a single-car accident, such as a rollover. Collision coverage offers protection regardless of who is at fault in an accident.
- Liability insurance: This coverage type is required by most states to legally drive your vehicle. Liability insurance pays for property damage or injury to others if you’re at fault. Liability coverage is broken down into 2 parts: property damage and bodily injury.
Other types of coverage may be included in full coverage auto insurance, such as personal injury protection (PIP), medical payments, rental car coverage and roadside assistance. These additional coverage types are considered optional and can be added on to your policy, depending on your provider.
Which National Brand has the Cheapest Full-Coverage Car Insurance?
The average driver pays $1,270 per year for full coverage car insurance. But not all policies or providers carry the same rates. After doing a little digging, we’ve found the insurance companies that offer the cheapest full-coverage policies at the national level. Those companies are:
- USAA: With an annual cost of $817 per year, USAA comes out on top as the most affordable full coverage car insurance in the industry. That means that you can save $453 per year, as compared to the average cost of full coverage auto insurance. However, it’s important to note that you must have a military background, as USAA only provides policies to military members, veterans and military families.
- Geico: Thankfully, you don’t have to be a military member to enjoy major savings. With an annual cost of $941 per year, Geico helps drivers save $329 off the national average cost of full coverage auto insurance. Plus, the well-known provider offers almost all major car insurance discounts including bundling, safe driving, multi-vehicle and car safety features to help shave off even more.
- State Farm: Want to save $156 each year on your policy? As a State Farm customer, you’ll pay an average of only $1,114 per year for full coverage auto insurance. And just like Geico, State Farm also offers most major discounts, which can help further drop your costs.
What is the Average Cost of Full Coverage Auto Insurance in my State?
Car insurance is regulated by the state, which means the cheapest policy for full coverage (at the national level, as listed above) might not always be the cheapest policy in your state. In fact, rates can vary by hundreds of dollars depending on where you live. For example, at $2,693 per year, Michigan has the highest insurance rate in the nation, thanks to its no-fault personal injury system and high rate of uninsured drivers. On the other hand, a similar policy runs about $425 per year in Maine, due to the state’s low population density, low fatality rate on state roadways, low number of licensed drivers, and low cost of living.
Want to know how much you should expect to pay for full coverage insurance each year? We’ve broken it down for you below:
- Alaska: Geico- $805
- Alabama: Geico- $745
- Arkansas: Southern Farm Bureau- $783
- Arizona: Geico- $655
- California: Esurance- $1,010
- Colorado: Geico- $718
- Connecticut: Geico- $766
- Washington DC: Geico- $565
- Delaware: State Farm- $1,117
- Florida: Geico- $1,193
- Georgia: Nationwide- $1,237
- Hawaii: Geico- $614
- Iowa: Geico- $438
- Idaho: State Farm- $491
- Illinois: Geico- $703
- Indiana: Erie- $517
- Kansas: Nationwide- $764
- Kentucky: State Farm- $771
- Louisiana: Southern Farm Bureau- $1,348
- Massachusetts: Safety Group- $704
- Maryland: Erie $1,461
- Maine: Geico- $425
- Michigan: Geico- $2,536
- Minnesota: Farmers- $906
- Missouri: State Farm- $823
- Mississippi: Mississippi Farm Bureau- $804
- Montana: State Farm- $645
- North Carolina: Nationwide- $566
- North Dakota: Nodak Mutual- $464
- Nebraska: Geico- $662
- New Hampshire: Concord Group- $542
- New Jersey: Geico- $941
- New Mexico: State Farm- $908
- Nevada: Geico- $886
- New York: Geico- $1,657
- Ohio: Geico- $528
- Oklahoma: Geico- $704
- Oregon: Geico- $893
- Pennsylvania: Geico- $1,200
- Rhode Island: State Farm- $715
- South Carolina: Geico- $749
- South Dakota: State Farm- $630
- Tennessee: Geico- $717
- Texas: Farmers- $774
- Utah: Geico- $610
- Vermont: Vermont Mutual- $473
- Virginia: Progressive- $455
- Washington: PEMCO- $739
- West Virginia: Erie- $639
- Wisconsin: Geico- $564
- Wyoming: State Farm- $683
See How Much You Can Save on Auto Insurance
We believe that everyone deserves the protection of a comprehensive auto insurance policy—and it shouldn’t be a drain on your wallet! That’s why we’re proud to offer some of the best coverage rates in the industry. And thanks to our immediate free online auto insurance quotes, you can choose a plan and get your coverage in just minutes. Get your quote today and join the rest of the drivers who are saving every month.